Nous bénéficions d'une bonne fenêtre météo qui nous emmène en cinq jours vers nos premiers mouillages de la Patagonie Argentine. Nous décidons de nous arrêter à Puerto Elena, une vaste baie qui offre plusieurs mouillages assez bien abrités, pour attendre sagement (si on peut dire) le passage prochain d'une dépression qui risque de nous secouer. La baie est magnifiquement sauvage. Un paysage aride, clairsemée de touffes d'herbes raides comme des triques, de petits cactus et d'arbres probablement centenaires qui ne dépassent pas un mètre de haut. Une cote ocre rouge battue par une mer émeraude qui pourrait faire penser aux bords de la mer rouge si la température ne nous rappelait pas que nous sommes, ici, déjà à 45 degrés de latitude sud. Temps très sec et ensoleillé qui nous permet de jolies randonnées en compagnie de Thomas et Anja qui, comme nous, sont venus chercher refuge ici.
We are fortunate to have a pretty good weather window such that in 5 days, we reach the first anchorages of Argentina Patagonia. We make a first stop at Puerto Santa Elena, a vast bay which provides several choices of anchorages depending on the winds. This prudent decision allows us to wait for the forecasted passing of a nasty low that will definitely prove to be difficult to handle at sea. We arrive in the early morning of 5/1, with the sunrise, into a magnificently wild bay : plains and hills that stretch miles and miles, rocks and gravel, with vegetation strange and stiff and prickly that must be hundreds of years old but do not grow more than a metre tall, with small cactuses and some other plant with pretty yellow flowers sprouting here and there. The brick red slopes and low cliffs along the coastline, battered and shaped by the incessant waves and breakers from the emerald sea, remind us slightly of the coasts of the Red Sea. Of course, the temperatures here as south as we are now (45 degrees latitude south), are far from that of the Red Sea, as we register 15 to 16 degrees celsius in the boat. The air is dry, sunshine is abundant, allowing us to venture on land with Anja and Thomas to explore this desert-like wilderness before the winds start to pick up, with force, in the evening and night of 5/1.
Apres deux nuits un peu difficiles mais en sécurité, nous quittons Puerto Elena pour un autre mouillage, trente cinq milles au sud, très réputé parmi les navigateurs Argentin: la caleta Horno. Nous naviguons de conserve avec Robusta et entrons dans le canal Leones avec un peu trop d'avance sur la marée et un peu de courant à contre le vent de NE qui souffle fort en ce milieu d'après-midi. Nous trouvons à l'entrée du canal des conditions de mer très dures qui nous obligent, au portant, à chercher un passage de sécurité. Robusta qui est devant nous appelle en VHF pour nous indiquer une méchante zone de déferlantes dans l'axe du canal. Nous obliquons vers le bord sud où les conditions sont plus maniables. A mi parcours les conditions deviennent moins dangereuses. Nous soufflons en sortant de ce fichu canal et faisons notre approche vers l'entrée de la caleta sous des rafales a 35 nœuds. Deux voiliers sont déjà mouillés et notre entrée va demander un peu de préparation...
After 2 rather difficult nights at the anchorage (very strong north winds, then very strong south winds, but our precious Spade anchor holds us in security throughout the gusts and swells), we sail out of the bay in comfortable conditions on the morning of 7/1, sighting several groups of penguins, belonging to a colony at the southern tip of the next bay (Puerto Concepcion). We head towards the next anchorage, very popular amongst Argentinean sailors: the Caleta Horno. The journey, timed as best we can to reach Canal Leones (narrow passage just before arriving at Caleta Horno) with not too much tidal currents against the strong NE winds and against us, turns out to be extremely stressful with very very rough sea conditions after rounding Cabo Dos Bahias and at the entrance of Canal Leones. Robusta, just slightly southeast and ahead of us, calls us on the VHF to tell us to gybe east, to avoid nasty breakers which they see just in front of Galatée. We do so, Laurent steering, finding slightly calmer waters as we reach the middle of the Canal. A (short) moment of relief on exiting the Canal, before we find ourselves head on into 35 knots of northeast gusts just as we approach the entrance of Caleta Horno ! 2 other yachts (S/Y Kalibu - Germany, and S/Y Cara Mia - Finland) are already in place, requiring thus a little preparation before both Robusta and Galatée can enter and in turn, anchor and pull floating lines ashore.


Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire